What to do if I was just served papers by my old bankregarding my forclosed house from 6 years ago?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was just served papers by my old bankregarding my forclosed house from 6 years ago?

The bank is demanding the money and I have 20 days to respond. I don’t know what to do. Does filing bankruptcy take care of it? I certainly do not have the money to pay the bank back.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were served with a summons and complaint concerning a possible deficiency judgment over a foreclosed home that you lost more than six years ago, you really should consult with an experienced real estate attorney to explore the following issues right away:

1. is the complaint against you barred by all applicable statute of limitations for the causes of action plead in the complaint?

2. if the loan that was foreclosed upon "purchase money" or if the foreclosure was by way of a non-judicial foreclosure, does your state have laws precluding a deficiency judgment is such a scenario.

A good real estate attorney could point you in the right direction in trying to resolve this dispute and whether a bankruptcy filing is an option for you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption