If I was just charged with unlawful mischief and domestic assault, how should I pead at my arraingment?

UPDATED: May 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was just charged with unlawful mischief and domestic assault, how should I pead at my arraingment?

My girlfriend and I got into a verbal fight last night that escalated into a physical fight. What kind of trouble am I really in? Is there any way that I can get the case dropped? Am going to end up on probation or go to jail?

Asked on May 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, Vermont


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

At your arraignment you always want to plead not guilty. At this point, the matter will be set for a pre-trial conference in which you or your attorney if you have one will be able to review the evidence against you. In most cases involving domestic assault, if the alleged victim refuses to prosecute, or fails to appear at critical court dates the prosecutors may dismiss the charges, but this is no guarantee. Because in most states these are misdemeanor offenses, if you have no prior convictions, a term of probation should be offered to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption