If I was involved in an auto accident but no police report was filed, how do I prove fault?

UPDATED: May 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was involved in an auto accident but no police report was filed, how do I prove fault?

Due to only minor damages, no police were called. We exchanged information and went on to work. I filed a claim with the drivers insurance company. I was told due to the fact that the police were not called to the scene, it’s a case of my word against hers and therefore they denied my claim. She never filed a claim. Is there any recourse to get her to pay for the damages she inflicted on my car?

Asked on May 5, 2015 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue her. The other driver's insurance company's determination is NOT the final word: you have the right to file a lawsuit, and if you can prove in court that she was at fault (that is, driving negligently, or carelessly) in causing the accident, you can recover your losses or costs. You can prove that with your testimony: if you are more credible than the other driver, the court may believe you and find for you, even without a police report. For amounts under the maximum limit for your small claims court, it is probably a good idea to file in small claims court and act as your own attorney (pro se), since otherwise, attorney's fees could eat up anything you'd recovery. You can get instructions and forms for doing so from your court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption