If I was involved in a fist fight with employees at a restaurant and now a detective wants to question me about it, what should I do?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was involved in a fist fight with employees at a restaurant and now a detective wants to question me about it, what should I do?

The group of guys I was with and I initiated the altercation then we left. Now, 2 weeks later I have received a letter in the mail from the local police department inquiring about an incident that I may have knowledge about, and to contact the detective as soon as possible. Do I need to hire an attorney before I contact the detective?

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

 Under no circumstances speak with the police without an first having consulted with an attorney. You are under no obligation to do so, even if the police come to your home. You could inadvertently say something incriminating either about yourself or others. The fact is that questioning you without your having legal counsel is to their benefit. Make no mistake, they will try to get you to make an admission to implicate yourself.

At this point, you need to speak directly with a criminal law attorney ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption