What to do if I was involved in a car accident and was charged with DWI?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was involved in a car accident and was charged with DWI?

My breath test was 0.00% and I refused to the urine test. They are trying to suspend my license. I need some advice.

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have two different issues.

The first is the criminal case.  If they don't have urine, breath or blood that is positive for anything in your system, then they don't have much of a case on you.... so you don't give them any additional information to use against you.  If law enforcment calls to talk to you, then tell them you would like to have them appoint you an attorney (or you can hire your own), before you visit with them.  Do not talk to them without representation.

The second issue is your license.  Many people will try to challenge the suspension and then accidentally incriminate themselves during the process.  Instead, you may simpy want to seek an occupational license to get you through the suspension.  Paying for the occupational is a pain.... but it's far cheaper than defending a criminal suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption