If I was involved in a car accident but had no insurance on the car and am now being sued, what can happen?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was involved in a car accident but had no insurance on the car and am now being sued, what can happen?

I am a full-time college student and do not work. I have no money or assets.

Asked on January 27, 2015 under Accident Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were at fault in causing the accident, you can be sued for all injuries, damages, or costs you caused. If sued and the other side (the plaintiff) wins, the plaintiff will get a judgment against you. If you have no money or assets, they may not be able to collect now, but:

1) You'll have an unsatisfied judgment against you on your credit record, which will damage your credit and make borrowing more difficult and more expensive, and which would also affect renting apartments or getting a job--some landlords and employers look at your credit record.

2) The judgment can be enforced for years to come, so if you later have a job, money, or assets, they can try to collect then.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption