What is my parents’ liability if I was involved in a car accident when I was 16 years old but am now 18 and being sued?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my parents’ liability if I was involved in a car accident when I was 16 years old but am now 18 and being sued?

I am 18 years old now. Could my parents be held responsible for the accident since I was a minor, under their car insurance and the car was under their name? Apparently the people wanted more money than what the insurance company was willing to pay them and I was at fault for the accident.

Asked on January 2, 2014 under Accident Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you tender the defense of the lawsuit in writing to your insurance carrier at the time of the accident. Based upon what you have written, it appears that possibly your parents could be liable for negligent entrustment of the vehicle to you if you caused the mishap.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption