What is my landlord’s liability if I was involved in a armed robbery at my apartment complex due to their negligence?

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my landlord’s liability if I was involved in a armed robbery at my apartment complex due to their negligence?

I was walking towards my apartment and believe I was targeted as the building outdoors is poorly lit, so the felons were able to hide in the dark and attack me when the time was right. It’s the negligence of the apartment complex management that could have cost me my life and the future of my wife and 7 month old child. I would like to know what legal action can I take against the felons and against my landlord?

Asked on January 28, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can not sue people over what "could" have happened, only what did.  If you fell because of the poor lighting you might have a personal injury claim against the apartment.  But you can not hold the landlord liable for the acts of the people who robbed you.  In addition to criminal charges against the robbers, you may have a claim against them for an intentional tort, such as assault, especially if you feared for your life.  If the robbers' names are known to you, and if they have money, you might consult a personal injury attorney in your area about bringing a claim for civil assault.  However, you can only recover actual damages, not hypothetical ones.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption