If I was involved in an accident and I go to court this week, is it necessary for me to get a lawyer?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was involved in an accident and I go to court this week, is it necessary for me to get a lawyer?

I rear-ended a car at a red light. The accident was about 2 months ago but she has not made a claim on my insurance yet. I know not to plead guilty. What do I say?

Asked on October 24, 2015 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It his highly recommended that you get an attorney. (It's not "necessary" because you are allowed to represent youself.) First, experienced counsel will maximimize your chance of minimiming your punishment (i.e. any fines, points, etc.). Second, the lawyer will help prevent you that could be used against you later if the person you hit, or her insurer (looking to recover from you any amounts they pay out) sue you for compenation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption