What to do if I was involved in am accident where I hit a motorcycle and the driver was injured?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was involved in am accident where I hit a motorcycle and the driver was injured?

The extend of his injury, weekness in one arm. I have insurance coverage up to 100K. If the award is higher than 100K are any of my personal assets subject to collection?

Asked on March 6, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your personal assets could be subject to collection, but it is a long path from here to there.  Your insurance company will attempt to settle the claim and, if this is not successful, will hire a lawyer to defend you.  It is likely that the insurance company will settle this claim for your policy limits or less.

For peace of mind and protection of your assets, you should seek "personal counsel."  Personal counsel is your own lawyer who will monitor the work of the insurance lawyer and insurance company to make sure they protect your interests.  Personal counsel is not your main lawyer and will not cost anything close to what the main lawyer will charge your insurance company.  The job of personal counsel is to make sure your insurance settles the case without putting your personal assets at risk.

I suggest that you speak with a couple personal injury lawyers who ordinarily represent the injured party (plaintiff) to find someone who will serve as your personal counsel.  Plaintiffs' personal injury lawyers are accustomed to being adverse to insurance companies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption