Can I sue the city if I was involed in a freak car accident 2 weeks ago due to a deep pothole?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue the city if I was involed in a freak car accident 2 weeks ago due to a deep pothole?

No other car was involved. New Link Destination
avoid getting hit by a car backing out of a open parking lot. I slightly moved to the right, not more than 4″. Before I could realize what happend, my car was pulled to the right and I had no control until it stopped. After I could gather my thoughts, I set there for a minute, not realizing how serious this was. When I got home I walk in and told my family I hit a sign. My insurance company is ping 100% over $4000 and suing the city because the wreck was caused by a hole over 2 feet deep and no caution of this road hazard, I ended up with whiplash and spent 3 days in hospital for a sprained back. Why can’t I sue the city as well?

Asked on December 14, 2015 under Accident Law, Mississippi


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your insurance company should be working with you to sue the city. If this is not what is happening, consider getting your own counsel (if the insurance company is not providing you counsel), and sue the city, as well as the individual who hit you. The insurance company is suing the city for the money it had to pay out to you. You need to take care of your medical bills, pain and suffering and time off work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption