What to do if I was injured in a slip and fall accident at a store?

UPDATED: May 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was injured in a slip and fall accident at a store?

The store is denying a claim, stating that “after careful review of the facts regarding your incident, our investigation has revealed no negligence on behalf of the store…”. I slipped on some spilled vanilla extract and it is on video. The store is saying that they had a clean up crew on-site and 10 minutes after my injury they entered that aisle for usual clean up activity. They are saying due to this, they are not responsible for my fall. Do I have any chance of overturning this decision if I take the store to small claims court?

Asked on May 16, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


Christopher Earley / Law Office of Christopher Earley

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor


The decision on which court to file in is largely determined by the level of your damages and the amount of your medical bills.  Insurance companies routinely deny slip and fall claims.  Usually, litigation is necessary with these cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption