I was injured in a fall at a motel in Valdosta, GA. I live in OH. Should I consult a lawyer in Oh or Ga?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was injured in a fall at a motel in Valdosta, GA. I live in OH. Should I consult a lawyer in Oh or Ga?

No difference in curb and driveway color. I fell from curb, broke shoulder, had to have 2 people come to get me and my car13 hours one wayand take me back to Oh where I had shoulder replacement. Had difficulty getting motel insurance information from the motel. Reimbursed for some of the co-pays, but not expenses or out of pocket expenses.

Asked on April 17, 2017 under Personal Injury, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You would need to sue the motel (the only way to get money, if they will not voluntarily provide what you consider an acceptable amount of compensation) in the other state: only local courts (where the defendant--the business or person being sued--lives) would have jurisdiction, or power, in a case like this. Therefore, you should consult an attorney in the motel's state. Depending on what that state is and its statute of limitations (law setting out how long you have to sue) is, you  might be out of time to sue over a 2013 injury--it could be too late take legal action. Every state has its own statute of limitations, so if you are considering suing, contact a lawyer in that state right way and the first question to ask him/her is whether, in this situation, you are still in time to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption