What is just and fair compensation for my injuries if I was injured in a car accident while riding with someone?

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is just and fair compensation for my injuries if I was injured in a car accident while riding with someone?

I had 5 cracked ribs and a broken collar bone, plus I missed 2 days of work. Driver who hit us had no insurance. My driver has uninsured motorist coverage. They are offering $2500 for pain and suffering and paying medical bills but I have 12,000 in medical bills.

Asked on January 16, 2014 under Personal Injury, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Typically, if there is an at-fault driver, an injured person would be entitled to those medical bills which he or she could prove (assuming that they are not padded or inflated in some way). If you have $12k in medical bills, 2 days lost work, and have experienced (presumably) several weeks of pain and partial disability, then $2,500 would normally be considered too low. You should speak with a personal injury attorney: having an attorney represent you will usually significantly increase what you can recover.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption