If Iwas injured at work and my supervisor advised me to file for short term disability instead of filing a worker’s comp claim, what shouldI do?

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwas injured at work and my supervisor advised me to file for short term disability instead of filing a worker’s comp claim, what shouldI do?

Was mislead by supervisor; she advised me to file short term disibility instead of workmans comp.

Asked on January 28, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

File the worker's compensation claim--the supervisor can't stop you from doing so. It is the injured worker's right to submit a claim. If you have any difficulty, try contacting your state labor department--it will have or can refer you to a division or department dealing with worker's compensation.

The important thing is to file the claim first. After that is done, you can consider whether you can or should seek compensation from the supervisor or the employer. The worker's compensation office can help guide you in this, such as by letting you know generally when an employer may incur liability in this regards. You might also speak with an employment attorney who can evaluate the particulars of your case. Probably if the supervisor just gave you well-intentioned by incorrect advice which you followed, there's no or little liability; if intentionally tried to stop you from filing, however, you may have a cause of action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption