What is my best defense without a lawyer if I was given a citation for purchase of alcohol by a minor and I have pleaded not guilty?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my best defense without a lawyer if I was given a citation for purchase of alcohol by a minor and I have pleaded not guilty?

I was in the passenger seat of a friend’s car when we were pulled over and asked to get out of the vehicle. I had confessed that there was an empty beer can under the seat that I was sitting in. I was not given a breathalyzer test, although I offered to take one. The car did not belong to me and I was not driving.

Asked on December 13, 2013 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to show that you were not given the opportunity to take a breathalyzer and that the police never tested you to determine if you were intoxicated. Therefore, there is no proof of alcohol consumption. But the issue here is if you purchased alcohol. If the police didn't check you for a receipt or anything, then yes, you may have enough there to show you did not do it. The burden of proof in a criminal matter is beyond a reasonable doubt. You don't have to prove anything; it is up to the prosecution to prove it. Your best bet is to obtain a lawyer to help you in your defense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption