If I was in n accident where I was given a ticket, how will that affect my insurance?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was in n accident where I was given a ticket, how will that affect my insurance?

I would rather not pay the ticket and have a court hearing, but would like to know how it would affect my insurance if I plead no contest. It seems to simpl, and I don’t want anything to bite me after I do it.

Asked on April 5, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Insurance companies increase premiums for various reasons and even for no reason.

If you were at fault in an auto accident, the insurance company will most likely increase your premium because among other reasons it will have to compensate the other party who was not at fault in the accident.

Whether or not you plead no contest, your insurance premium will increase for the ticket you received since you were cited for being at fault in the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption