I was in an auto accident and it is believed to be my fault. I am no longer insured. What should I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was in an auto accident and it is believed to be my fault. I am no longer insured. What should I do?

I was trying to get over into the right lane and I didn’t
see the woman in my blind spot. I turned on my
turning signal and as I was getting over the woman
swerved over and then I swerved to the left and she
got back over and we hit each other. Spinner around
and ended up on the other side of the interstate. I
have never been in an accident before and I am
freaking out at this point. I am willing to make a
payment plan if her and her insurance company are
willing to compromise. I am devasted at this point
and just hope and pray for an easy solution.

Asked on February 25, 2017 under Accident Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

All you can do, IF she or her insurer sue or at at least makes a claim against you (since if neither seeks compensation from you, you would not have to pay), is--
1) If you felt it was not your fault, you could "fight" the case in court--they'd have to prove it was your fault to recover compensation. But appears to not be the case: you seem to believe you were at fault.
2) You could try to settle with them for some amount and/or payment scheduled you can afford. There is an incentive for them to do this, since it will save them the cost, time, uncertainty (since the outcome is *never* 100% certain) of suing; that may let you negotiate a settlement you can live with. But settling is voluntary for them; they can refuse to settle, so you'd have to make it a decent or reasonable offer that they will voluntarily agree to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption