If I was in an auto accident and filed Chapter 7, could I include a default judgment and essentially get my driver’s license reinstated?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was in an auto accident and filed Chapter 7, could I include a default judgment and essentially get my driver’s license reinstated?

I was at fault; this was several years ago. I ended up with a default judgement for personal injuries and property damage ( for the car that I hit). I was originally charged with DUI however those charges where dismissed in court. The results of blood work showed I was below the legal limit and the prosecutor dropped the DUI charges. I was not insured at the time and my privilege to drive was revoked for failure to pay a citation. The only thing I was convicted of was getting in an auto accident while my privileges were revoked.

Asked on November 28, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The answer is yes and no.  Yes, you can and should include the default judgment in your Chapter 7.  The judgment creditor would be among the creditors who would line up to get a piece of your assets.  The judgment would be wiped out in the bankruptcy.  But the criminal situation is entirely separate.  Erasing your debt will not do anything to help you get your driver's license reinstated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption