What to do if my father will not give me my settlement money?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father will not give me my settlement money?

I was in an auto accident 2years ago and when I recieved my settlement of $15,252.72 I didn’t have a bank account to put it in. So instead of opening one I decided to just put it in my dad’s account. The aggreement was when I needed the money or asked for the money back my dad would give it to me. I have moved out of my parents house and have asked my father for the money but he refuses to give it to me. Can I take him to court to get it?

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Accident Law, Florida


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

For the purposes of this answer, I am assuming you are an adult and not a minor.  If you are an adult, yes you are entitled to your settlement funds.  I would consider suing your father as a last resort.  However, if you had to, yes, you could sue your father.  If an attorey was involved in your settlement, I would suggest you go back to that attorney and ask for assistance.  If not, I would consult with an attorney first and discuss all of your options before moving forward.   Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption