What can happen if I was in an accident the same day that I bought insurance?

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if I was in an accident the same day that I bought insurance?

The police came out to the scene. No report was made but insurance claims were filed. Can a police report later be filed for the accident? And I signed up for my insurance that day but they are saying they need to investigate and make sure i am covered. I paid and everything that day. I just happened to get into the accident after the fact. Legally can my insurance drop me?

Asked on February 28, 2015 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The issue is almost certainly timing: if there is evidence that you signed up for insurance *after* the accident, then they may cancel your coverage for failure to dislose and insurance fraud. If you bought the insurance before the accident and can prove that, they should have to cover you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption