What to do if I was in an accident that was not my fault but I left the scene?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was in an accident that was not my fault but I left the scene?

The lady said sorry it was all my fought. The lady called the police and she told them to hurry up because she was scared of me and she said I was going to hurt her. I panicked and drove off. Can I go to jail for this and what should I do?

Asked on November 26, 2013 under Accident Law, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime in many jurisdictions. What could have been done is you could stay in your car and contact the police and indicate she just confessed to the accident being her fault and now she is making things up to protect herself. Now, you will need to consult with an attorney as soon as possible and see if a) there is a bench warrant on you and b) what you can do from here with your insurance company. Take pictures of this car if you haven't already done so and do as much proactive work as you can to protect yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption