I was in a fight with a friend. I don’t really want to sue. I need to know what actions I should be taking to protect myself from med bills/eye sight

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was in a fight with a friend. I don’t really want to sue. I need to know what actions I should be taking to protect myself from med bills/eye sight

I was in a fight with a friend and did NOT file a police report. Injuries are worse than I originally thought. Went to the ER, they had me see an Ophthalmologist, he determined that my Optic nerve was swollen and that a CT of my brain and orbits was necessary. CT showed a fractured orbit and entrapment of the muscle. Vision is about 40%, Dr hopes for no permanent damage. Now referred to a plastic surgeon to determine if surgery is necessary to repair the fracture. I don’t want to sue him, but what actions should I take to protect myself? Is it too late to file a police report?

Asked on June 5, 2009 under Personal Injury, Michigan


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There are a lot of details to this that you haven't, and shouldn't, put in your question here, and those details might be very important.  Also, I'm not a Michigan lawyer, and there are differences in the law that might matter here.  So you really need to see an attorney in your area, for a full review, to get advice you can rely on.  One place to find a lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

It's by no means certain that you could succeed in a lawsuit, if it came to that.  I don't know how the police report might matter, or just how long ago this fight took place; you might want to talk to your lawyer, first, about whether reporting the fight would end up with you getting criminal charges to defend.  You've got a very, very serious injury here, and it's worth making sure that you handle all of this the right way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption