If I was in a collision, what should I do about filing a police report/insurance claim?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was in a collision, what should I do about filing a police report/insurance claim?

I rear-ended a vehicle when the driver in front of me abruptly slammed on his brakes. When we both got out, we evaluated the damage. My car suffered the brunt of it. The other driver saw there was minimal damage to his car, so he said, “It’s OK, no problem” and hopped in his car and drove away. By the looks of his eyes and the way he was acting, I fear he was drunk. I was able to snap a picture of his license plate as he drove away. I just need to know, was I at fault?

Asked on December 23, 2012 under Accident Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you contact your insurance representative about the mishap and make a claim as well as a police report as to what transpired. Based upon what you have written and the fact that the other driver drove away it does not appear that you caused the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption