If I was in a car accident and the insurance company offered a rental but I’m 17 and not of age for a rental, can I be compensated in another way?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was in a car accident and the insurance company offered a rental but I’m 17 and not of age for a rental, can I be compensated in another way?

I was in a car collision. My car is getting fixed, it took 3 days for the insurance company to admit guilt and an extra 5 possibles days for it to get fixed. Since I’m not 18 I can’t take a rental car, however I’m still spending money on transportation because I can’t use my car. Is there a way the insurance company can compensate me for this? Like take the car rental money instead of the car? I’m spending more than that anyways.

Asked on May 19, 2019 under Insurance Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They could pay for your other transportion costs (such as Lyft, Uber, mass transit, etc.) instead of rental costs, and should pay for those costs, since their obligation is to pay the reasonable costs that you in fact incur due to their driver's fault--and in your case, those costs are alternative transportation costs, not a car rental. They might balk at paying more than a rental would cost, but even if you just get the equivalent of the rental cost, that will at least be a partial offset to your expenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption