What to do if I was in a car accident 3 years ago which resulted in the other vehicle’s driver getting a traffic citation although I hit her in the side and I’m now being sued?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was in a car accident 3 years ago which resulted in the other vehicle’s driver getting a traffic citation although I hit her in the side and I’m now being sued?

She swerved in front of me. New Link Destination
day I was notified that I was being sued by her because of bodily harm, her not being able to work and many other things that she claims are being caused because of the accident. It says she hasn’t worked since then but a quick google search showed she is self-employed and has been working since the accident. What are some options I have? New Link Destination
be honest this seems so far fetched because of the light accident and the timing of this lawsuit.

Asked on August 29, 2015 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

First, if you had liability insurance at the time, you should refer this to your insurer this is what you paid premiums for, to be protected from claims for injuries or car damage arising from car accidents, and it is their contractual obligation since that is what an insurance policy is a contract to protect you from claims like this.
That said, as a general matter, to successfully sue you, she would need to show in court--i.e. prove, by credible evidence and testimony--that
1 You were at fault in causing the accident, since someone is only liable for an accident if they were at fault e.g. driving carelessly. If she swerved in front of you, then it may bet that she, not you, is liable, and you could potentially sue or countersue her for any car damage you suffered.
2 That the accident caused injuries to her--and she can't simply claim this she needs to be prove both the existence of the injuries and that they resulted from the accident with the aid of credible medical evidence e.g. a doctor's testimony and reports.
3 Even if she can show 1 and 2, she can only recover an amount of money provably linked to the injuries so to recover for, for example, not being able to work, she'd need to prove that she cannot work due to the injuries--and you could defend yourself by providing evidence that she has been working, as you describe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption