How do I file a claim against my attorney for improper representation?

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file a claim against my attorney for improper representation?

I was in a car accident in out of state about a month ago. My attorney is just advising me now that he does not practice in the state in question. My time is near to start over and I can’t find an attorney to take my case.

Asked on April 4, 2013 under Accident Law, South Carolina


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were in an accident only a month ago, you still have plenty of time.  If you were injured in the accident, and you were not at fault, you should not have a problem finding an attorney to represent you.  If you were at fault in the accident, you should be able to retain an attorney to represent you on the traffic citation(s).  If you were at fault and are sued, your insurance company should provide legal representation on your behalf.  You can do an online search for an attorney licensed in the State where your accident occurred.  You did not present enough detail to answer your question further, and I am unclear as to what you meant when you said "my time is near to start over".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption