What to do if I was in a car accident a year ago but was uninsured and am now being sued?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was in a car accident a year ago but was uninsured and am now being sued?

The car in front of me made a sudden stop to turn right without a signal. I had a green light so I was not able to break in time and made a small ding on the car. The driver did not want to make a police report and his car could have been fixed with less than $600. After we found out I was not included on my dad’s insurance policy, the other driver said he was injured and is trying to sue me for 19k. I don’t know what to do. I am a single mother and am currently unemployed.

Asked on February 5, 2016 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the other driver obtains a court judgment against you, at that time it would be advisable to file bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.  It would be premature to file bankruptcy until you know the amount of the judgment against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption