If I have a Trust fund from a personal property settlement, how can I find out about it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a Trust fund from a personal property settlement, how can I find out about it?

I was in a car accident as a minor and was given a Trust fund/blocked bank account by the court. I am now over 18 years old and wish to withdraw the funds from this account as I am in need for it but unfortunately my lawyer passed away years ago and I cannot locate anyone who has taken over his cases. How do I locate information on my account?

Asked on December 16, 2015 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you know your case number, you can go to the court where the case was originally filed and ask the court clerk for the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can review it and ask the court clerk to photocopy the file or any sections of it that you need.
If you don't know the case number, look for your name or the name of the  person appointed guardian ad litem when you were a minor in the court's computer to obtain the case number.  Once you have the case number, then give it to the court clerk to see the file.  Since the trust fund/blocked bank account was set up through the court, the information should be in your case file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption