What to do if I was in a car accident and the guy hit me from behind while I was stopped at a red light?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was in a car accident and the guy hit me from behind while I was stopped at a red light?

He had a trailer with 2 commercial lawn mowers. He has a home business that his father left him when he passed away. He did not have insurance.

Asked on October 21, 2013 under Accident Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you had auto insurance, you can file an uninsured motorist claim with your auto insurance company.  Your uninsured motorist claim would be for the property damage (cost of repairs) to your vehicle.  If you were injured, your uninsured motorist claim filed with your insurance company would also include a personal injury claim.

When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor or are declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary which means having reached a point in your medical treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of wage loss.  Your personal injury claim should include these items.

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  If your case is settled with your insurance company, NO lawsuit is filed.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from your insurance company, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.  Since the other party was uninsured, it would be advisable to consider settling the case with your insurance company.

If you do reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party, when you obtain a judgment against him, place a lien on his property to enforce the judgment since he is a business owner.

If the case is NOT settled with your insurance company, you must file your lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

If you didn't have uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy, then you won't be filing an uninsured motorist claim and your only recourse will be to sue the at-fault party for negligence.  Again, after you have obtained a judgment against him, enforce the judgment by placing a lien on his property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption