What can I do if I was hit by a vehicle while walking through a parking lot?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was hit by a vehicle while walking through a parking lot?

The driver was charged in the accident. She turned left hitting me in the knee, driving me up on hood and back down to the ground. Would I have a case against the strip mall/parking lot owner? There was no crosswalks or watch for pedestrian type signs.

Asked on November 4, 2013 under Personal Injury, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You almost certainly would NOT have a case against the mall or parking lot owner, unless you could show that it was unreasonably careless to not have crosswalks, "watch for pedestrian" signs, etc.--which is unlikely, given that many or possibly even most such parking lots lack these things (so therefore, it is generally considered acceptable to not have them). The mere fact that an accident occured on someone's property does not, without some fault on their part, make them liable.

You may, of course sue the driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption