What, if anything, can be done years after a personal injury case is settled regarding continuing pain and suffering?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What, if anything, can be done years after a personal injury case is settled regarding continuing pain and suffering?

I was hit by a driver who later admitted that her car was faulty and she was impaired. A great deal of time has passed. My father, who I was not living with at the time of the accident ,signed off on my case before I turned 18. I am in my late 50’s now and deal daily with the pain and discomfort from this incident. Is there any avenue open to me?

Asked on October 21, 2012 under Personal Injury, Michigan


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I cannot imagine any state that would permit a lawsuit to be brought after so many years.  Even if your father's actions did not release the driver (and I am certain they did), statutes of limitation and repose would prohibit any action now.  I am sorry.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption