If I was hired as a full-time 40 hour per week hourly employee over 3 years ago, can my schedule now be changed to 45 hours per week?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was hired as a full-time 40 hour per week hourly employee over 3 years ago, can my schedule now be changed to 45 hours per week?

I must also work 6 days per week. This is a permanent situation. The position and responsibilities are the same. Can they do that?

Asked on December 29, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Does ths action violate company policy or the terms of an employment contract or union agreement? Does it constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination? If not, then your employer is within its legal rights to have you work these hours. The fact is that an "at will" work arrangement, an employer can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit or deems neccesary. This includes the hours that an employee is regularly scheduled to work.
That having been said, if you are a non-exempt employee you are entitled to overtime pay. In order to determine whether or not you are exempt, here is a link to a site that will be of help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption