What to do if my ex was ordered to provide health insurance and pay 50% of medical bills but has not done so?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex was ordered to provide health insurance and pay 50% of medical bills but has not done so?

I was granted a divorce 13 years ago. I have always provided the health insurance. I have hand delievered, discussed on phone and sent the medical bills yearly by certified mail. Do you file contempt or file a small claims action? Where would jurisdiction be where the ex provides or children? We live in a different county than where the original divorce action was filed.

Asked on December 27, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your "ex" has failed to comply with the court order that you have written about, I would write him a demand letter for cpmpliance by a certain date. Keep a copy for future use and need. If there is no compliance, your legal recourse would be to file a petition for an order to show cause for contempt of the court order in the court where the order you have written about was issued.

I would consult with a family law attorney for help regarding such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption