What to do if I was given my paycheck a day early and now my company has deducted $150 from my paycheck without notice?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was given my paycheck a day early and now my company has deducted $150 from my paycheck without notice?

I was given my paycheck a day early by my boss every week for about 2 months and about a month later the company that I work for deducted $150 from my paycheck without notice. The reason behind this deduction was because I received my paycheck a day early and deposited the check on the same day which was the day before the date on the check. Is what they did llegal and, if so, what my course of action should?

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, your employer may not do this:

1) You are most likely not liable for to your employer for depositing the check the day you are given it--while it is true that you *should* have waited, to recover money from you in a lawsuit, they'd have to prove all of the following: that you were negligent, or unreasaonbly careless, in not checking the date; that they were  not negligent in giving you the check a day early without asking you to hold it; and that they actually suffered $150 of loss. It is not likely they could show all these things.

2) Even if you owed your employer money, they may not deduct it from your paycheck without your approval or permission. If you refused to agree to this, they'd have sue you and win to get the money.

All the above said, before deciding what to do (for example, suing in small claims court for the money, if they won't repay you), bear in mind that if you do not have an employment contract, you are an employee at will and could potentially be fired at any time your employer chose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption