If I was given my grandmother’s ring per her Will after I was married, now that I’m divorcing is it my sole property?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was given my grandmother’s ring per her Will after I was married, now that I’m divorcing is it my sole property?

My husband states it needs to be sold and profits divided. Can he do that? It was my grandmother’s.

Asked on November 10, 2015 under Family Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It is not your sole property automatically: in your state, all property acquired during marriage, including via inheritance, is presumed to be marital property. However, it is also not necessarily the case that it must be sold and split 50-50:
1) Court have discretion to deviate from the default 50-50 split for equitable (fairness) reasons, and will look at a number of factors, including whether something was inherited or not, in determining how property shold be divided; so the family court might simply award the ring to you.
2) Even if the ring is to "split," a court would almost certainly allow you to pay your husband his share, or give up an equal amount of othe assets, and keep the ring because of its family/sentimental value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption