What do I do if I was given diversion and my arrest record is still being pulled up?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I was given diversion and my arrest record is still being pulled up?

When I was 18 I was charged with a CSC 3rd degree and given HYTA. I was told after completion of probation, this would get expunged. I am 25 now and am still getting turned down for minimum wage jobs and apartments. I emailed the lawyer who handled this case and she said the conviction is no longer on my record but the arrest will stay in the system forever. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In Michigan, you can have your arrest record expunged and destroyed so long as the criminal matter was dismissed or you were found not guilty at trial. The problem in your case is that CSC offenses are of the few instances where you cannot have your arrest record destroyed for public viewing. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption