If I was given an ordinance violation for retail theft, will this go on any records that employers can view?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was given an ordinance violation for retail theft, will this go on any records that employers can view?

If a non-traffic ordinance violation was issued and paid for. I’m 18 years old, never had any criminal background or even any traffic violations. If it does go on records how can I expunge it or is this even possible? I’ll be the first to admit that I am guilty and it was no accident or misunderstanding; it was genuinely dumb mistake/poor judgement and I know I’ll never do it again. I’ve worked my whole life to succeed, I graduated valedictorian, volunteer, involved at school.

Asked on August 27, 2011 Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have not yet plead out to the charge against you, it is best that you retain an attorney to assist you in defending the charges stemming from the retail theft charge. Potentially legal representation may assist in resolving the charges with minimum future impact against you.

In all likelihood, a conviction of the charge for retail theft will go on your personal record that can be viewed by a possible employer in a background check.

As far as expunging any future conviction stemming from this charge in the event you are convicted of, or plead out, the time period to expunge a matter assuming the offense can be expunged is typically a period of five (5) years post plea or conviction. Having a criminal attorney representing you in this matter will assist you in any future goal of expunging any resulting plea or conviction.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption