If I was fired last month by my previous employer, what are my rights if unsolicited they are now badmouthing me to my new employer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was fired last month by my previous employer, what are my rights if unsolicited they are now badmouthing me to my new employer?

I was never given an answer as to why. They did it over voicemail and lied about what happened. Fast forward to now, they called my new employer and said they shouldn’t hire me because all I do is steal and said a bunch of other such things. First off, I never stole from them. Second, my new boss did not call them – they called out of their own will and said a bunch of lies. How is that legal? I feel like they are stalking me, slandering me and harassing me for no reason. What can I do?

Asked on January 23, 2016 under Personal Injury, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a lawsuit against your former employer for "defamation", which occurs when statements are made to other people that are untrue and damage reputation and/or cause you monetary loss. You could also sue for something called "tortious interference with economic advantage", since they used wrongful tactics in an attempt to interfere with your livelihood (i.e. your job).
Right now, you can have a lawyer write a letter to them letting them know that you are willing to escalte things to court if necessary (recieving a letter on an attorney's letterhead tends to get results0. If not, then you certainy appear to have grounds to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption