What to do if I was fired from a railroad due to my chronic illness?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was fired from a railroad due to my chronic illness?

I have had family medical leave for my condition until recently. I did not qualify for it because of lack of hours for the FMLA protection due to missing work because of my illness. I am a 13 year employee and have only had discipline because of my attendance. I had to take a medical leave and could not maintain the 1250 hours of work prior to receiving FMLA protection.I was terminated shortly after returning to work.

Asked on January 2, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may not have any recourse. If your chronic illness caused you to miss work without approval or authorization (and you were not able to cover the absences with FMLA leave or with paid time off that you had earned, such as sick or vacation time), then your employer may fire you. While employers have to make "reasonable accommodations" for employees with disabilities, even if your condition qualified as a disability, "reasonable accomodations" do not include letting you miss work; employers may terminate employees who do not or cannot show up for the work they were hired to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption