What are my rights if Iwas fired from my job for having a criminal record?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if Iwas fired from my job for having a criminal record?

I worked for few months at this restaurant, then one day my manager called me over and told me that the owner found out I had a record. He told the manager to fired me. I never was asked for details or if I was ever convicted of a crime; it never asked in the application. Also, the manager told me that they never check for backgrounds. Is this discrimination?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a person is terminable at will from employment so long as the termination is not based upon discrimination such as race, gender, sexual orientation and the like.

Having a criminal record can be a reason for you not to be hired in the future and possibly be terminated. I suggest that you consult with your local labor department if your termination by your employer for having a criminal record was improper. I suspect that what your employer did would not lend itself to a legal action by you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption