What to do if I was fired and feel it was to avoid paying me my severance?

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was fired and feel it was to avoid paying me my severance?

I have worked for a company at 4 years and 8 months now, and was fired today. I work in a call center. The reasoning was that I received 2 calls that the customer complained about how I handled the call. I have a Quality Assurance score for the month at 98%, which this department grades our calls. I received no warnings, no write-ups, just called in the office and fired. I feel I was fired to avoid issuing severance pay. What can I do about this situation? Can I challenge this and receive my pay? The company is doing a layoff on the first of next month.

Asked on August 16, 2011 Texas


Richard Weaver / The Weaver Law Firm

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would be courious to learn more.  Attorneys can help on a contigency basis where you do not have to pay unless they recover a judgment or settlement for you. Feel free to visit us at www.WeaverLawyers.com or call 713-572-4900.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption