If I was fired after being assaulted by my employer, ithere anything that I can do?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was fired after being assaulted by my employer, ithere anything that I can do?

Employer was drinking, known steroid user, and was carrying a firearm(with a concealed weapons permit). I called the police because he started assaulting all of the other employees at the company as well. I did this because the supervisor on hand stood there and did nothing while he had another employer pined up against a truck. The employer was in a violent and out of control with rage.

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) Assult is a civil tort, or a wrong for which you can seek compensation. You could sue your employer for assaulting you.

2) While generally--in the absence of an employment contract--an employer can terminate an employee at any time, for any reason, it may be wrongful termination to fire you for refusing to condone or stand by for an illegal act, or for calling the police to report a crime; you therefore may also have a lawsuit for wrongful termination.

3) Since  assault is crime, you could also look to press charges.

In regards to 1) and 2) above: you should consult with an employment law attorney to discuss your options, including the strength of any case(s) and what they might be worth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption