If my engagement recently ended, who is entitled to our pet pig?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my engagement recently ended, who is entitled to our pet pig?

He recently cheated on me so I moved out but despite room in my car was not able to pack everything and was going to get the rest later the next week. About 5 months ago we went to an animal sale. there I saw a baby bottle pig that I wanted sooooo bad but he didn’t. However, he said if it went for no more than, I could get it. So I bid was $30 and got it. I raised him from a week old and now my ex won’t give me him back. Can I get my pig back because he did buy it for me?

Asked on December 12, 2015 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If he bought the pig then gave (gifted) it to you, then legally, it is your pig. However, practically, the only way to get the pig back if he won't return it would be to sue him and get a court order directing him to return the pig; and if he testifies that it's his pig (he bought it and kept if for himself), the case will turn into a "he said, she said, with the judge then having to decide who is telling the truth...and he's have a slight edge because if you bring the lawsuit, the "burden of proof" is on you, meaning that you have the burden or responsibility of convincing the court that your version is right--if the court can't choose between you (you are both equally credible), then he will win. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption