What to do if I was driving my girl’s car and had an accident for which I’m being held at fault?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was driving my girl’s car and had an accident for which I’m being held at fault?

I made a left turn but a car crashed into me on the back passenger side. I said to the cop that I was stopped before the turn but the other driver said I pulled out in front of her. The cop believed her. Maybe because my license is suspended. All I know is that she’s not telling the truth. So if my grils insurance is not covering the accident, can she sue my girl because it was her car but she was not there and did now about my license?

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is a potential that both of you can be sued.  The lawsuit against you would be based on the theory that you were the driver and at fault for the accident.  The suit against your girl would be for negligent entrustment in that she allowed an unlicensed driver access to her vehicle. 

The insurance company may or may not defend either of you.  Many policies will exclude coverage when the driver is not listed on the policy or is unlicensed.  If her policy contains this type of exclusion, you both may need to hire an attorney to defend you should the other person decide to file a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption