Who is responsible to pay if I was cut at work and required stitches?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is responsible to pay if I was cut at work and required stitches?

I was getting paid in cash. The boss paid for the initial visit on her credit card. However, I got a bill in the mail for the sutures and she is refusing to pay. What do I do?

Asked on October 4, 2014 under Personal Injury, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Because they were paying you in cash, it is unlikely they were providing worker's compensation for  you. Without worker's comp, your only option would be to sue your employer for the cost of your medical care (the portion she has not already paid). To win, you'd have to prove in court  that your emplohyer was responsible in some way for your injury, such as by defective tools, defective procedures, etc. If your employer were not responsible for the injury, they would not be liable for your medical costs--liability depends on fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption