What to do if I was convicted of misdemeanor shoplifting a few months ago but have not been able to pay my fine or complete my service hours?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was convicted of misdemeanor shoplifting a few months ago but have not been able to pay my fine or complete my service hours?

My sentence was 7 days jail, or community service to have been completed by this month. I registered with the agency directed by the court for my CS but have not had the money to pay for the hours I must complete. In addition, the fees imposed relating to the matter have not been paid. I am worried about a bench warrant and want to avoid having to pay an attorney to clear any warrant, as I cannot serve jail time ( I take care of a 3 year old child daily).

Asked on November 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you could not pay, you need to work with the court with some amount you can pay each day or ask to borrow money from someone and pay that person back. Community service shouldn't cost any money so you can work with the court to see what can be offered to you. Contact your legal counsel and see what can be done because come next month the court may indeed issue a bench warrant or enhance any sentence they would have imposed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption