If Iwas convicted of a DUI almost2 years ago but didn’t complete the Alcohol Safety Action Program, what are the repercussions?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwas convicted of a DUI almost2 years ago but didn’t complete the Alcohol Safety Action Program, what are the repercussions?

I blew a 1.7 and had to do 2 weekends, which I did. However I did not go to ASAP or get an ignition interlock system. I just haven’t driven since then. I decided to go ahead and clean this up because of new job opportunities that have come up and I want to get a license. What am I looking at?

Asked on November 4, 2010 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

First of all, at such time as you failed to finish your probation a bench warrant for your arrest would have been issued.  And warrants do not expire.  The only way to effectively handle this is to contact an attorney in the area where the warrant was issued and arrange to turn yourself in. Until you do you are in danger of being arrested.  Additionally, this will turn up when you go to apply for a driver's license and it will show in an employment background check.  Again, go to court and deal with this.  You will have to handle the probation violation as well as the underlying DUI charge (which triggers both criminal and civil cases). A skilled criminal attorney local to the court in question will best be able to present your case. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption