What are my rights if I was convicted of a crime without having my rights read or even offered a public defender?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was convicted of a crime without having my rights read or even offered a public defender?

The judge and deputies were bias and knew my wife by her first name the charge was domestic violence and I was the one attacked. What steps should I take to get this off of my record?

Asked on October 20, 2013 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You will have to appeal the conviction.  The police do not need to read you your rights unless they intend on questioning you.  You may not have qualified for a public defender because you were not indigent.  Visit a legal aid center in your area to find out if you qualify for assistance with your appeal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption