How can I be cited for speeding when there was no posted speed sign?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I be cited for speeding when there was no posted speed sign?

I was cited for speeding on a frontage road that does not have a posted speed sign in the area I was stopped. What can I do to fight this or get this citation dismissed?

Asked on September 2, 2014 under Criminal Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, states have laws on the books that state that if there is no posted speed limit (especially in residential areas) the state imposes a maximum speed limit and you as a driver are supposed to be aware of what that is. For example, in New York City if there is no speed limit posted then the speed limit is set at a maximum of 35 miles per hour. In Utah I believe that it is 25.  I would do some research before you go in.  Start with the traffic law violation number cited on your ticket.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption